SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Sanford Pentagon is hosting a series of basketball tournaments this summer, aiming to provide opportunities to young athletes while implementing restrictions aimed at public health.
The schedule consists of events for boys and girls entering Grades 5-11 with 81 teams playing 123 games. The tournaments begin June 20-21 and June 27-28 with two rounds of the Sanford Pentagon Invitational, continue through four weekends in July and conclude in early August.
“We felt like it was important to create competitive opportunities in a safe environment,” said Jesse Smith, vice president of operations for the Sanford Sports Complex. “We’ll continue to explore innovative ways to allow athletes to be able to pursue their passions from the standpoint of a sports complex and a healthcare system.”
Details and events could change as tournament dates approach. Stay tuned to the Sanford Pentagon social media channels for updates.
- All Pentagon Tournaments will adhere to all current state, municipal and CDC guidelines and protocols, including reduced occupancy numbers and social distancing.
- Games will be played on six of the nine Pentagon basketball courts.
- The admission gate fee is included in the tournament entry fee. No money will exchange hands.
- Teams will be limited to 35 total patrons which includes coaches, athletes and fans.
- Non-athlete fans must be 5 years or older to enter the facility.
- At the conclusion of a team’s final scheduled game, all team patrons must vacate the facility.
- All patrons will enter the Pentagon via the main entrance doors
- No money will exchange hands at the gate as the admission fee is included in the team entry fee.
- No more than 35 patrons (athletes, coaches, fans) per team are permissible in the facility.
- Patrons will receive a wristband indicating they have been screened for the session.
- All patrons will exit through the VIP or Employee Entrances.
- Seating will not be provided for patrons to allow social distancing.
- Patrons may bring in a bag chair (or similar chair) but will be asked to social distance around perimeter of court.
- No basketballs will be allowed to be brought into the Pentagon. All warm-up and game balls will be provided.
- Basketballs will be sanitized between games.
- All bench chairs and score-keeping areas will be sanitized at the conclusion of each game.
- The facility will be cleared of all patrons at the conclusion of each session.
- Hand sanitizers will be positioned on all courts.
- Pentagon staff will wear gloves and masks (if necessary) throughout the event.
- Athletes and coaches will be encouraged to wash their hands at the conclusion of each game.